Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This is what a punk show should be..

So, I just came back from truly one of those events that makes me love New York City. I saw the bands "Cheeky" and "Bridge and Tunnel" in the basement of Generation Records in the West Village.

The admission was free but the entry "fee" was to bring a canned good to the show. This immediately told me that the bands just care about making music with no profit, which is what many of the bands these days have lost sight of.

Up first was the band Cheeky and they have a raw punk sound with influences of The Stooges and The Clash. With many female fronted punk bands I immediately feel a connection. There is something about a girl doing it like the boys and sometimes with more aggression just makes me want to start a band. Their set was only 5 or 6 short songs but each one drew more and more energy with each scream. This is definitely a band to check out for those who don't know them already. I will try to include them on an upcoming show.

Next, was Bridge and Tunnel ; a band that my friend Chris had told me about a year ago. He knows the guitar and vocalist, Rachel. I bought their EP on iTunes and listened to it and I have to say it never made it into heavy rotation until tonight. They were incredible and totally opened up the crowd from their first riff. The crowd moved to the front of the little basement and sang almost every word the entire time. The lead singer was turning red with every note but I have to say I was concentrating more on the powerful guitar riffs and incredible energy that emanated from each guitar. One song had the most amazing breakdown about 3/4ths through the song that made the crowd bounce in unison. This is what a punk show should be.

www.myspace.com/bridgeandtunnelmusic
www.myspace.com/cheekyli

No comments: